Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Freshly Ground

With just enough time to shower, begin unpacking and talk Caroline’s ear off, Sara arrived to pick us up for Freshly Ground at Kirstenbosch. Kirstenbosch is a breathtaking botanical garden in the city. It is green, lush, and serene against the back drop of Devil’s Peak and the side of Table Mountain. It’s also a fantastic venue for a concert. During the summer they host a concert every Sunday. People bring blankets, chairs, and picnic baskets for the event. Sara Caroline and I found a spot and snacked on apples and cheese, trail mix and rolls with ham. Sara found it odd that we ate our sandwiches dry while she slathered butter on hers. “You don’t put butter on your sandwiches?!?” She asked in shock. Caroline and I exchanged glances and laughed. She asked if we always ate sandwiches so dry, and we told her we usually use mayonnaise or mustard. Culture differences never fail to entertain me. The ordinary day-to-day things can evoke curiosity, laughter, shock, and are always educational. That day I also introduced Sara to Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (heaven), American Coins (so much cleaner than rand) Starbucks (yummy) and Country music (Blake Shelton is her first love). The number of things I have learned about South African culture are countless and I know over the next year I will continue to have my mind expanded and my curiosity evoked.

 

caroline, me and sara at freshly ground

Freshly Ground’s performance was amazing. One of South Africa’s most famous groups, the lead singer has an incredibly powerful voice. The effect of it resonating through the mountains and lush grounds of the park was chilling. All in all I could not think of a better first-day-back-in-Africa.

 

the stage in front of the back drop of kirstenbosch

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    So glad you arrived safe and sound. You look so happy and it's only your first day. What a gorgeous view behind the stage. Have fun and I'm sure you will be working hard. I love the blog idea so keep the updates coming. I miss and love you.
    A. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I have found you on blogger! This is magnificent ... the prose, pictures and adventures. We should do something about the baggage claim. How about those that stand right by the shoot where the bag first is seen by the human eye - really how much time do they shave off by grasping the luggage, maybe 45 seconds! Looking forward to learning more about your new culture - butter is decent from time to time. Let me know if you want some Hellman's sent over! High five Supernova!

    ReplyDelete