Sunday, June 21, 2009

54 Minutes!

6/8/09
The hallway where are office is at RCCH is bustling. It’s a very small hallway, but in the beginning we had the 3 rooms to ourselves and spread out. Two of the rooms are meant to be offices while the 3rd is meant to be a procedure room. We have the majority of our stuff in the first office. We use the sink in the procedure room to clean our toys and we lay them out to dry in the second office space. A new pain management director has started in the last few weeks and her office will be in our hallway. Her name is Angie. She's nice, and really interested in what we do, but she's kind of abrasive and headstrong. She and her boss have been preparing the "procedure room" for actual use. I have been rearranging and reorganizing our space. We can still use the procedure room to clean the toys but we will have to lay them out in our office. This is actually not an issue at all. We have a significant amount of space, especially by Child life standards.

Annalise revisited G1 (cancer unit) again today. Ever since my referral for a drip (IV) preparation, we’ve been working to develop rapport on that unit. It was that pt who not only requested that we return, but he also requested the return of Craig, the teddy bear we used in the session. The sisters are beginning to recognize us and we are getting to know a few of the other children there. Today we ended up in the grassy courtyard just outside the unit. It was an absolutely beautiful day, and perfect for outside play. Before we knew, there was a swarm of children out there tossing balls, blowing bubbles, playing UNO, and mending Craig.

Since it was nice out, I decided to hike up Platteklip a second time. I aimed to beat my previous record of 1 hr and 11 minutes. I did it in 54 minutes and 11 seconds! It was tough work, that’s for certain. I pushed myself incnredibly hard and just kept moving the entire time. That trail is the longest and steepest trail I’ve ever hiked. What’s more, about 85% of it is the sun. I was completely wasted by the time I reach the top. However, my time and the views rejuvenated me. I am still overwhelmed by the views up there. Cape Town is truly a gorgeous gorgeous place. The combination of mountain and ocean make for a sight that there are no words for.

No comments:

Post a Comment