Sunday, June 21, 2009

It Comes With Time

6/9/09
Jenny mentioned at our weekly pain management meeting that UCT is showing a strong interest in preparing a qualification/education program in child life. This is really exciting news since it falls in line with the goals for this child life project.

It has been incredible to watch this program grow and progress. Everything has gone according to plan and has been more successful than we dreamed. I never doubted the success of this program, but what I didn’t expect was to meet so many wonderful people. Some of them have made me question myself and the way I live my life. Many of them have become treasured friends, and all of them have made me a better person.

I had wanted to talk with the staff for the last couple weeks about the pre-meds they give the kids before theatre. They are often completely sedated, and thus unavailable for any prep and education. Over the last couple weeks there have been children that I thought could benefit from education but are, instead, passed out all morning only to be woken up to a mask over their face. Jenny was, to no surprise, completely on board and we made a plan to address this.

I also brought up the use of the treatment room for "educational" and meeting purposes. My only issue is when a group of people crowd around a child and just stare, or worse: with horrified looks on their faces. I suggested that they be "prepped" before entering the room and when possible, stand behind the child instead of at their feet. Again, the team was entirely supportive.

After work Annalise and I picked up a new girl, Dana, from Sara Fox. Sara Fox is a residential home for children, many of them need medical care. Every now and then kids from C2 are sent to Sara Fox and transported back and forth for further treatment. As a team, we had discussed visiting Sara Fox and possibly continuing work with the children while they are there. Before heading home, I decided to stop by Pick-N-Pay. Since Dana and Annalise were already in the car, I asked them if they wanted to go as well. Suddenly my car was packed with 5 other people and myself. As we were all trooping in Annalise said, "Aw I love group shopping trips it's so much more fun!" I agreed. I agreed because I remembered pick-n-pay trips with my friends. As I watched them all bustle around the fruit and cereals and cookies, I felt like I was watching a rerun of my life 3 months ago. I suddenly realized the cyclical reality that was taking place: New connect people were suddenly everywhere I looked. They were learning about how to weigh fruit and what color milk was the one they drink back home (and what the hell was it doing in a bag?!). Then, there was me, on the other side. It's probably the closest thing I'll ever feel to being a "native" amongst "tourists" here. What brought it all home was their reaction to my shopping. I hadn't realized they had seen me in the check-out. They were saying "you're such a smart shopper...I saw your cart, you totally know what you're doing...How did you do that so fast?" At first, I was taken aback--way back. I stammered and then laughed because it really didn't register. The only thing I could say was, "It comes with time." I know ‘life goes on’...but I've never actually seen it 'go on' while I'm still present.

After putting my groceries away I hiked lion's head. The weather was PERFECT for a hike and I was itching to get out. I love having mountains in my back (and front) yard. Hiking is something I really enjoy. I made it to the top of Lion’s Head in 33 minutes. On the top I laid on a rock at the ledge and closed my eyes to listen to the waves. It was fantastic. I find myself wavering between wanting to go home and wanting to stay here. My hikes have given me a lot of time to think. When I’m on the mountains, above the city and alone with my thoughts, I’m in a remarkably calm and centered place. I feel like I can do anything after I hike. It makes me feel strong and incredibly independent. The mountains and the oceans are two things I am desperately sad to leave behind. I could hike these mountains and sit on these beaches everyday for the rest of my life and not tire of them. They are beautiful, fun, and unbelievably soothing. Mother Nature has given Cape Town some of her best work. I feel closer to her and her magic here than I have anywhere else. Even just running the base trails gives me an overwhelming feeling of happiness. Maybe there are amphetamines in the air...

taking in the view of seapoint from the top of lion's head

No comments:

Post a Comment