Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mucking Afazing

5/28/09
Today was a bit of a rough day at work. It was the first one I’ve had..not bad, I think. It was a cold and rainy day to begin with, and I just felt really drained and a little burnt out. Our work is certainly demanding, and can be draining, but I think my mood was a result of a lot of things. Jamie’s impending departure, for one. The thought of doing our job solo leaves me a bit uneasy. June will prove to be a big adjustment.

I did, however, have a really positive interaction with the twins and was able to meet their physiotherapist. I had been working with them daily to, firstly, get them out of bed. I walk them to them windows and mirror for play and stimulation. I make sure to get them on their stomachs using books and other toys for distraction to improve head/neck strength and initiate crawling. I noticed that twin A is reluctant to use his left hand so I’ve been encouraging that as well. The twins are interactive and playful. They think peek-a-boo and mimicking activities are hysterical and they have the most contagious laughs!

The physio and occupational therapists were working with mom today on fabricating a carrying sling. They wrapped twin B in such a way that his body was centered and lined appropriately. This sling will allow mom to carry her babies while improving their posture at the same time! The therapists reiterated many of the things I had been working on and gave me some new ideas. I have noticed that twin A has markedly improved neck strength and has begun to use his left hand more. Twin B is more fussy. He still doesn’t like being on his stomach. While his brother’s focus is looking left, twin B has a hyperextended neck and is encouraged to flex. Both boys also need their legs strengthened so we spend time working on that as well. It is really exciting to see their daily improvements!

After work, Jamie and I decided to treat ourselves to Charly’s. It was something on our bucket list as it has been a standard goodbye outing. Charly’s has the ability to turn the downest of moods on the downest of days upside UP. The building is painted in gray and hot pink with bright, animated, flying and dancing cupcakes. The chairs are fashioned to look like black and white pastries and are back dropped with the most colorful and elaborate desserts. And everything, I mean everything, has glitter on it. Even the food!! Jamie and I split a quiche and chose two desserts to take home. We took them back to my apartment to finish off our Gilmore episodes with hot chocolate. On a chilly, rainy day this was just as satisfying as any of our extravagant outings.

CHARLY'S BAKERY

Mucking Afazing Cakes

Later in the evening, I attended power yoga. It was everything I wanted it to be. Especially since my last two classes were NOT. Kate, my favorite instructor, was leading the class. She has the most soothing voice (the accent helps) and she has the ability to put me in the place I need to be for yoga. I am able to get way deep down inside myself and focus on nothing else. The most striking thing is that she conducts every class differently, but it’s always relevant to my feelings. This class she focused a lot on “letting go”. Kate thinks yoga is the best therapy because instead of talking about your problems, dwelling on them and rehashing them, In yoga, you just let it all go.

To get myself in the right place in yoga I put myself in a field (I don’t know why it’s a field). Kate always firsts instructs us to find our center. I sit in the field and lay big heavy bricks around myself in a small circle, but really high. This is how I keep everything else out. We are not to let anyone or anything intrude our space. She directs focus to the body and it’s response to the workout. If I find myself wondering I go back to my small concrete sanctuary where nothing can get me.

Kate also talked about how yoga practice can be applied to everything we do. I have found myself doing that at times. Yoga has helped me become more aware of the way my body moves, reacts and responds to my environment. I have also found myself appreciating the present; really absorbing it and experiencing small moments. In yoga we Kate instructs us to focus on the body’s reaction to each pose. Sometimes she will then tell us to do what our body is telling us it needs; to react with your body, not your mind. This is really challenging but super cool! Practicing this state of self consciousness at yoga has made enabled me to use it easily in the rest of my life. I am able to listen to what my body is telling me and give it what it needs. I’ve done a lot of trail running and hiking since I’ve been in Cape Town (you should see my gluts!), and it has made for the most amazing combination of yoga and nature. It makes me so unbelievably serene.

No comments:

Post a Comment