Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday at the Beach


5/31/09
Today I accompanied Doug on a SCUBA rescue lesson. It was interesting. We started the morning at Olympia Bakery in Kalk Bay. I had a wonderful cup of coffee and a delicious feta and spinach croissant. It’s true, I have (finally) become a coffee drinker. I guess it started on the safari. Or maybe it was all the tea with lucy that started to build my caffeine immunity. In order to rev up for the early morning game drives after a rough night’s sleep, I would have a cup of Nescafe. What a beautiful thing, Nescafe. It’s very tasty and didn’t leave me with that awful, jittery feeling. I picked it up again a few weeks later to keep me going at RCCH. With a job as mentally AND physically demanding as that one, it’s no surprise. Also, the coffee and tea here is not only delicious but comes in a variety of flavors. I wouldn’t be experiencing all of Africa if I neglected this…

While Doug swam around the ocean, I sat on the beach, journaled, and mostly thought. I thought about Africa, my friends (both here and at home), my family, RCCH and other random thoughts. It was a funky day-being the first official one on my own. I am so anxious to see what this next month has in store for me. Each one, thus far, has been a world apart from the other. In April there was a whole group of us. We did everything together and planned outings and trips and adventures (small and large). Then people began leaving and May was really just Jamie and I. We spent the month comfortably and casually exploring Cape Town. We really settled in to the city and our “life” here. It was relaxed and blithe. I anticipate my last month to be autonomous and work focused. My goal is to have our program strong and steady so that Caroline, being by herself, can focus on her new role.

After his SCUBA lesson, Doug and I met some friends of his at Skebanga’s, a pub. His friends were in town with their 8 month old baby. We ordered a Mexicano pizza. It tasted like a taco. It was delicious. The place had a great atmosphere. It was nestled in a forrest of trees with the ocean just on the other side. It had a “summery” feel with it’s abundance of windows and decks. The only downside was the flies. I think flies are the dirtiest insects, and they make me want to vomit. I did a good job of trying not to think about them and enjoy the company and food. The baby offered a good distraction. She was a busy little thing and very social.


nordhoek beach from chapman's peak

After lunch, Doug and I drove out to see if we could find any beached whales from the previous Day’s accident. We were unsuccessful, but what we DID find was Nordhoek Beach. The other girls had told us about this beach they found on their road trip to Cape Point. The beach stretched for miles. Jamie and I never found it on our own trip, but here it was! It really was massive. You could barely make out the shoreline from where the beach started. Doug and I walked out a little ways to watch the waves, kite surfers, and horseback riders. It was rainy and cold so we didn’t hang out to long, but instead walked up Chapman’s Peak. Normally, a popular tourist attraction, Chapman’s Peak has been closed for months. It is a road that wraps around a mountain providing glorious views. We walked about 2 miles before reaching a gate and had to turn around. The view of Nordhoek from up there was amazing.

me and doug

No comments:

Post a Comment