Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Final Jamie Day

5/30/09
We started the day bright and early to get Jamie back for her flight. We had breakfast at Houwhoek (after deciding they probably wouldn’t remember us) before heading back into Cape Town.

Murray picked Jamie and I up at 10:30 to take her to the airport. Saying goodbye to Jamie was pretty hard. We did well and are both ready for our next adventures. I know this next month will be just as enjoyable as the last two, in it's own way. I’m convinced this is where I’m supposed to be and that good things will come.

I went into RCCH this afternoon to prep the 12 year old for her amputation. She got admitted this morning for surgery first thing Monday morning. My options were to prepare her today or tomorrow. The preparation went swimmingly. One of the sisters interpreted for me since the patients first language is Xhosa. She was really receptive to the information. We went through the theatre tour book, IV and mask induction procedures, and used medical toys and supplies with a blank doll. She drew a smile on the doll and administered anesthesia via mask induction. At this point of play the sister had left, so we were left to our own devices on communicating. What happens in these situations never ceases to amaze me. The pt was all smiles and explored freely. We worked together to “wash” the doll, and administer the mask. I then wrapped the dolls leg in gauze such that it looked like the doll had an amputation. She smiled, took the doll, unwrapped the gauze, studied the leg, then mimicked what I had done with the gauze. She then went on to “wash” the doll, taking extra care by patting instead of rubbing the “stump”. A little while later, I headed back to my office to do some organizing while she explored on her own. When I came back I saw that she had wrapped two tongue depressors on either side of the leg, taking on the appearance of a prosthetic (maybe), which we had discussed earlier. I’m not sure what her actual intentions were but I was moved, and felt that the session had, indeed, been beneficial.


This evening Murray and his sister invited me to her place to watch the “Super 14” rugby match. Many of the people going I had met in Montagu, including Doug. I was happy for an eventful evening. Murray offered to pick me up from RCCH at 4:45. Since I got out a little before I went over to the coffee shop across the street. While I sat there I thought about the last two months. I’ve had such a fabulous experience so far. I’ve done so many things and met so many incredible people. I had so much I was taking with me, and so much more to learn.



We met up at Debbie's that evening for the Rugby game. The South African Bulls were playing the New Zealand Chiefs (the team we saw here in Cape Town) for the title. It was actually a very entertaining match and held my attention for the entire 80 minutes. I wouldn’t expect this since I don’t like football very much, but I have found rugby to be a pretty fascinating game to watch. The Bulls played an amazing game 61 – 17. They were scoring left and right, and they way they maneuver on that field-they’re like rugby ninjas! The evening was definitely a top one to add to my list of many. I had been a little down now that all my closest friends have left, but I realized tonight that I had South African friends. I have LOVED and cherished my American friends, but I think that this month will be a good time for me to really embrace where I am and spend time absorbing all I can from the people that live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment