Thursday, June 18, 2009

Contemporary Fusion

6/3/09
I called around for car rentals again and found a great deal with FunCar. I have been emailing back and forth with the guy running the business and will hopefully arrange for me to have a car by tomorrow afternoon. I told him I wanted the cheapest available, which most likely means a beetle; an original beetle. It also means a manual car. I only hope that my basic training in stick driving will be enough…

My roommate Sarah is an avid dancer and has been for most of her life. She had been looking for a studio to take classes at and I told her I’d join her if she found anything. Earlier this week she found a “contemporary fusion” class being taught at UCT (University of Cape Town). I was absolutely wiped after work today, so I came home and took a nap. I’m tired most Wednesdays after work, but this week was especially draining. Aside from the physical demands, I had a lot emotional exhaustion as well with being on my own, orienting Annalise, and a busy work week.

I woke up just in time to change and call a cab for our dance class. I learned that contemporary fusion is not exactly my style of dance, but still enjoyable. I was feeling a little self-conscious walking into the class. Dancing is a much larger part of culture here in South Africa, so I was certain I would be made to look a fool, but there were people of all levels in the class, and I felt welcomed and comfortable as soon as the class got underway. The moves were very fluid and asked that we be entirely loose and flexible. Both of which I am not entirely (especially this week). None-the-less, we had a lot of fun, met some cool people, and got a really good workout. The instructor had a fabulous accent, and listening to her lead us through the moves made the experience that much more enjoyable. I came home, had some dinner, and even after (my previous) hour nap and coffee, was still in bed at a decent hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment