Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Malva Pudding + Beach = Paradise

5/25/09
After work Jamie and I were tired and hungry. We decided to check out the café around the corner from our apartment, Special Gallery 38. We walk by this place on our way home from the bus stop and had wanted to check it out. It turned out to be a great idea. The atmosphere had a very ‘coffee house’ feel and magnificent artwork lined the walls (hence the name). I ordered a coffee and it was notably delicious; I don’t usually differentiate coffees, but I was impressed with this one. We ordered sandwiches and enjoyed the atmosphere. Afterwards, we visited our favorite bookstore. Jamie read up more on “things to see in Cape Town” while I relaxed beside her and listened. Jamie is a planner. She loves to collect and read pamphlets, brochures and tourism books. It works out well for me since I don’t have the patience or attention span to absorb that sort of thing. I let her read the captions out loud, and when something sounds cool, I get us there. I’m the doer.

Doug met up with us for dinner again. Tonight we went to Hout Bay. On the way we stopped at Llandudno, a sort of mini (very mini) Malibu. The sun was setting making the view spectacular. Jamie and I thought we would like to live in Llandudno…if only we could pronounce the name (land-dud-no). We ended up at Chapman’s Peak Hotel Restaurant. We had an amazing dinner and our first real piece of Malva Pudding. Which is not actually a pudding at all, but a cake. Caroline’s friends had raved about it when they came to visit. We tried a sample of it at Fruit and Veg market and couldn’t wait to try the real thing. It was everything I dreamed it would be, and more!

On the ride home we stopped at the Clifton Beaches. We checked out the 2nd and 3rd beaches. What a fantastic place! From the street, there are about a thousand steps leading down onto the beaches. The views are amazing. Once down, you are completely secluded, and the beaches are fairly small. There is no place on earth that makes me happier than the beach. There is something magical about the beach at night. The cool sand, the warm(er) water, the stars, the white foam against the seamless water and sky heighten my senses. The air smells saltier and feels thiner. It makes me feel light summery –even in the winter. It makes me feel happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment