Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fricken Fynbos

5/23/09
The next morning, we woke up to sunny skies and warmer weather outside than in our cabin. We had a light breakfast of fruit and muesli before packing up and setting out. We hiked first to the spot we went to the night before. It was familiar but a completely different experience. The views were amazing. We were on the Camp’s Bay side of Table Mountain by the “12 Apostles”. In between one of the breaks in the mountain was a ledge. I recognized this ledge from the connect website! I had marveled over it dozen’s of times and hoped that I could find the spot for myself. I absolutely had to get out there. Doug and Jamie (especially) were less reluctant, but eventually the three of us were on the ledge. For the first time in all my hikes in south Africa, my heart was actually racing. As I peeked over the edge, a lump formed in my throat. What a thrill! We had asked another hiker, an older man, to take a photo of us. We made our way (thankfully) off the ledge…but only to find out that the picture had not come out. The man told us that he had poor eyesight. This only left us to wonder, “what on earth was he doing hiking a mountain (near a cliff no less!) with poor eyesight?!” Doug thought that maybe it was his desire to die on Table Mountain, so maybe he was out for one final hike. I prefer to think he dropped his glasses on the way up.


After another attempt (and a second heart pounding trip out to the ledge) we had a long distant photo of us on the ledge. Then we took some pics of each other to get a more close up shot. Each day I try to remember to “Do Something Every Day That Scares You”. I think it’s a good rule. Other variations include, “Something New” or “Something That Challenges You” and “Something You Wouldn’t Normally Take the Time To Do” But I like "scares" the best. Overcoming our fears is the best way to grow and learn something about life and ourselves. To me, it’s a means of truly living. Here in Cape Town I have well exceeded my daily dose of being scared.

The hike down was a great trail. We first attempted a “less traveled” trail, and were pretty much making a path of our own. The fynbos was wicked; thick and sharp and always in the way. The trek itself was narrow and involved, especially with 50 lbs on your back. When Jamie announced that she MIGHT cus, we knew it was time to choose a new route. Our fearless leader and mountaineer took us to a more carved out path. We stopped once for a quick snack and a rest after wrestling mother nature. About 2 miles later, I realized I didn’t have my camera. The last time I had it was taking pictures during our break. My initial reaction was, forget it. But when I thought about it, I realized I couldn’t just leave my camera behind. Not only were there great pics on there, but I still had another month of picture taking to go! I raced back to the spot, letting Doug stay with Jamie. He ended up following me and caught up just in time for me to be lost. I was only a little ways off the trail, but had no idea how to get back. He led me to the right spot and, indeed, there was my camera: askew and caught on a branch. Oh Dani...

never too busy for a snack

Since we were ahead of schedule (Doug’s father was picking us up) we stopped to take in the scenery just before the trails end. We talked, took pictures and marveled at Mother Nature and what we accomplished in the last 24 hours. What a truly marvelous experience.

After my intense workout to retrieve my camera, following a poor night’s sleep at the end of a looong week, I was wasted. Doug’s father invited us for coffee in Hout Bay. I was fighting sleep in the car on the way and was hoping some food would wake me up. However, to be perfectly honest, I don’t even remember most of our outing with Doug’s father. I was a complete zombie. The only thing I remember is Doug asking my if I was alright and thinking, “Thank you, Jamie! I love you for the chatty person you are.” This is very funny because that’s something we give Jamie a lot of crap for. She will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances, and her conversation starters are classic! For instance, “So how long have your parents been married?” or “What’s your favorite thing on the menu?”..it would seem desperate coming from anyone else, but from Jamie it’s sweet and charming. Instead of questioning her sanity (as they do when IIII attempt these same questions) people become fully engaged and are in love within minutes. That’s just Jamie, and on that Sunday, meeting Doug’s father for the first time, I couldn’t have loved her more for who she is.

When I finally got home our apartment was bustling with commotion in preparation for Lucy’ birthday celebration. She turns 23 today. She was serving a spread of various sweets and expecting 10-12 people. I went up to Jamie’s apartment to bake her some brownies. I wrote “Happy B-Day Lucy” in Rasberry Coulis sauce (which was her favorite at the party!). For her birthday, I’m getting tickets to Robben Island since neither of us has been yet. The gathering itself was (surprisingly) low key, and a genuine good time. Probably because she leaves tonight with Tracey and Deborah for their safari…well, they leave at 4am (same flight we were on!). They are staying in Jo-berg before and after so will be gone for about a week. I’m really gonna miss having her around. I’ve been really fortunate with my roommate situation. Lucy is fabulous. She and I have all the right things in common…and also some really weird things in common. And Sarah has been a fabulous addition. I am excited to hear how the girls like the craigs and their safari experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment