Wednesday, June 3, 2009

X-treme...indeed


5/16/09
The next morning started early in preparation for the race. I was hoping I could buck up and run the 10k, but was unsure about the trail. Surrounded by mountains, I wasn’t sure I could race anything to steep. Looking over the routes with our friends, it showed that most of the run ran along the river, so we figured it must be pretty flat. By the time we got to the springs, I decided to jump in and go for the 10k. I got my number (85-my two favorite numbers!). It was then I grasped the word “x-treme” and began to consider how “x-treme” this race could be. My best 10k time is 55 minutes so I was hoping to finish in around an hour. Just before the race began the rain began to fall. It kept falling as the official rattled on in Afrikaans. I only hoped he wasn’t saying anything too important. The gun went off and we started by rounding the parking lot. The route led us along beach sand sandwiched in between rock walls and mountains. Rock climbers sprinkled the cliffs and cheered us on as we passed. As I wrestled the sand, jumped rivers via rocks, sandbags, and log bridges, I was beginning to think this run was more extreme than I thought. That, paired with the continuing rain to make the terrain that much more of a challenge, I began to reconsider my time. At about the halfway point (I could only assume it was since there were no mile markers), I met up with some New Englanders! A couple recognized my “Tufts 10k” shirt and pulled up along side me to flash their Red Sox cap. Soon after we met up, the flat river race became a full on hike. The term “x-treme” took on its full meaning. As we alternated between running and walking, I learned that they are originally from VT, lived in Boston for a while and currently reside in Cape Town. A little ways up the mountain a water stop came into site. I was thrilled to finally see some fuel and graciously took the outstretched cup. As I brought it to my mouth, I was startled to see a dark carbonated liquid. “Coke?!” I couldn’t help but ask. The volunteer laughed and asked if I preferred water. Who drinks coke during a race?!! Really?

The run didn’t flatten out until about the last 2 miles. I pushed ahead and bounded down the rocks. It was invigorating to cruise down a mountain side. We came to the second (and final) water stop before looping back to the rock climbers and beach sand. It was this point that I began to lose fuel. The sand was an exciting challenge the first time around, but the second time it was a painful nuisance. I continued to fight the sand and rain and finished the race in 1 hour and 12 minutes. I was super excited to have finished. It was hands-down the most beautiful race I’ve ever run. I was both mentally and physically challenged and the accomplishment was overwhelming.

After the race we changed into our “cozzies” (short for swim costumes) and relaxed in the natural hot springs. The skies cleared just in time and the water was warm, clean, and refreshing. We stayed in until we were prunes. Afterwards the sponsors held an award ceremony picnic. We had sandwiches, tea, and cinnamon crepes. I can never find cinnamon crepes in the states. Because that’s the way my dad prepared them (with cinnamon and brown sugar) as a child, it’s my favorite. I was sure to get my fill a the picnic!

Debbie’s friend came in 2nd place for the men’s x-treme 17k. Apparently he is an outstanding and popular runner in South Africa…and I can say I camped with him J There was also a drawing, and I’m pretty sure EVERY runner received a door prize accept Jamie and I. The reason, I have surmised, is either because they could not pronounce our foreign names so they tossed them, OR because they read the names and with their Afrikaans accent WE couldn’t understand them. For the first time in my life I felt like I had a simple last name.

Soon after the picnic, the clouds rolled in and the rain started again. This time it was showing no signs of letting up. We went back to the site. Our new friends Doug and Dave packed up and headed back into the city, but not before making plans to hike and show us around (the non-touristy side of) the city! It’s super exciting to be making friends in South Africa. It makes for a truly unique experience. The rest of the group retreated back to their respective tents, while Jamie, Murray and I hung out in the car (the only dry seats available) and drank hot chocolate. It was cozy and relaxing. After a couple hours in the car we switched venues and retreated to our tents. With the rain sill pouring down, I led them through a “yes or no” brain teaser. “If he saw the dust, he wouldn’t have died.” My camp peeps are well versed in these games and know they provide hours of entertainment.

Afrikaans:
Baai = bay
Guardjie = door guard (mini-bus)
Berg = mountain
Boerwoers = sausage
Kleinmond = little mouth; a small town in the mouth of a body of water

No comments:

Post a Comment