Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kirstenbosch

6/7/09
I slept in way late today. It felt nice to relax and not rush out for anything. Doug and I had talked about having lunch with his dad and brother, Bruce, who was in town for a business meeting. Doug came by just before 1:00p and we set off to meet his dad and brother at the Royal Cape Yacht Club. It was a clear, sunny day so we sat outside on the dock while we ate. Doug’s brother is nothing like him; much more serious and strongly opinionated. Our meal was fabulous and the weather perfect. It was a great way to start a Sunday.

After lunch, Doug and I went to Kirstenbosch. Kirstenbosch is the most famous botanical garden in all of Africa. It’s not hard to see why. It’s enormous and the fynbos is stunning. With the Table Mountain mountain range as a back drop, the gardens hold brick walkways, forest trails, fountains and natural springs. We had a nice, relaxing walk as the sun set on the weekend. Doug showed me the spot where they buried his mother’s ashes. What a lovely resting place. I was grateful that he shared that with me and he talked about how much he misses her. I can’t imagine what it must be like to lose a parent, and my heart goes out to him. We walked Kirstenbosch for a couple hours before heading back into the city. It was a rejuvenating weekend and I feel ready to tackle the week ahead.

tree hugger

No comments:

Post a Comment