Thursday, June 18, 2009

Solo at RCCH

6/1/09
Today was my first official day of work on my own. I certainly had my work cut out for me. I got a cab early to be there for the AKA surgery. To my dismay, they had taken her early and she was already in theatre by the time I arrived. Initially, I gave myself a really hard time about this. I told myself that it was out of my control, and that she was probably too sedated to recognize my presence anyway. It helped a little, but it was not how I envisioned my first day on my own. I kept saying Caroline would have been there. She would have made it. I remembered a little later that the reason I came in over the weekend was because of the heavy medication she would receive early Monday. That helped a little more. I went on to check on the children in C2. There were two other patients scheduled for theatre that I needed to be there for. I checked in with the first one and she had gone the previous day (Sunday!) instead. At least Jamie had prepped her and mom on Friday, but I was not doing well. I only had one strike left before admitting defeat. I headed to the end of the hallway to find the other patient passed out in his bed (this is a boy who is up at the first light of dawn, and sprints down the hall at the first sight of child life). I would have hit the floor, but I was not about to allow the day to be a total failure without at least a fight. I went to his bed and stirred him gently. To my surprise (and utter delight) he perked right up! He was happy to see me but I could tell the meds were well underway. I took out my “tools” and he remained engaged for the entire session. It also helped that he was familiar with the hospital, the staff, and was expecting the impending theatre visit. I was able to stay with him right up until the very last minute and the anaesthetist (yes, that’s how they spell it here) gave me the ok to leave. I felt marginally better about the day.
It was weird being there on my own. I felt surrounded by the good vibes of my past co-workers and saw them everywhere I went. I felt ready to make this into the program we all dreamed it to be, ready to guide our new volunteer (who starts tomorrow), and ready to make my coming here well worth it.

I met Annalise this evening. She came by our apartment for a run-down on the program and to coordinate our transportation. She was just adorable. She bounced into our apartment all excitement and smiles. I gave her a general overview of the ward and our duties, and what I planned for her. She was agreeable and eager to start. We arranged to get a cab in the morning. I would really like to get a car. Doug has suggested a cheap place, but when I ran it by Connect, they didn’t think it was the smartest option. Melanie emailed me some places to check out, so I will be doing some research. I’m a little nervous about driving a manual, but it’s the cheaper option by about HALF. Will certainly make this trip that much more of an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment