Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A New Hobby

5/11/09
I went to yoga again this evening. It has been one of my favorite things to do here…which is actually hard to say since there are so many things I absolutely love doing here. But yoga is so refreshing and cleansing (of both body and mind). I never thought I’d be one for yoga, especially Bikram (hot) yoga. As a culture, I find the practice a bit odd and the style a depth I can’t quite reach. But on the surface, I love the state that yoga forces me into. I love how I feel when I’m doing it; graceful, strong and in control. I’m also very present and focused on myself. A typical day for me does not regularly include those feelings. On top of it, I’m sweating more than I ever have. It sounds gross (and smelly) at first, but it’s actually has the opposite effect. It’s cleansing and beautifying. My entire body becomes a glistening stature. I hope that I can continue my yoga practice and even learn more about it. I don’t realize how much I need it in my life until during and after I’ve done it. It’s easy to get caught up in the routines of daily life: work, responsibilities and chores. It’s easy to ignore the need for self-care and cram “down time” with mindless technology or additional chores. South Africa has granted me the opportunity to make down town and use it appropriately: with quality people…myself included.

No comments:

Post a Comment